FPSO topside transition joints and terminations – UK North Sea
Power CSL Scope
Design, supply and installation of I-tube mounted transition joints, topside jumper cables, and electrical terminations for a North Sea FPSO project.
A major UK oil operator required purpose designed transition joints to connect 3 subsea umbilicals, each containing 15 MV power cores to an FPSO electrical system. The joints needed to be mounted on I-tube hang-offs located in the FPSO Zone 1 rated FPSO manifold deck. Flexible MV jumper cables and terminations were required to run from the transition joint to a number of HV junction boxes. The area where the joints was to be installed was highly space constrained in terms of available area and headroom.
Power CSL Deliverables
- Detailed design study including mechanical interface with I-tube, thermal FEA of the transition joint, verification of Zone 1 performance, MV jumper cable connections and termination design. Throughout this phase close liaison was required between PCSL, umbilical manufacturer, FPSO EPC, and the end Client project engineering functions.
- Mock-up of manifold deck at PCSL workshop and timed trial assembly of transition joint in order to explore methods of minimising offshore installation time.
- Supply of :
- 3 transition joint kits
- 45 MV pre-prepared flexible MV jumper cables
- 45 MV special design terminations
- Supply of 4 off PCSL offshore technicians and equipment for installation of products on the FPSO
All products were supplied and fitted to agreed schedule, with no problems encountered throughout the installation exercise.